Old 12-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Brandon

Default Propogating Papaya seeds

Recently a local garden center here in Gilbert AZ (phoenix) I came across a
beautiful Papaya tree that was growing in a static garden within the center.
I asked about it and was told the following by the caretaker...
He propagated it from seed he got from a fruit he picked up at the grocery
store, it was about a year old. (3 trunks were 2-5 inches in diameter,
approx 4-6 height). He also told me that this was propagated indoors , but
if the entire process was done out side the plant would more than tolerate
the heat here in the summer as long as it began its life outside.
So, I promptly stopped by the local supermarket and picked up a very ripe
Mexican papaya( which looks from pictures to be pretty close to what I saw
in the garden center). I cut it open and removed the seeds from 3/4 of it,
and washed them, those I put in a open container and left them outside to
dry. The remaining 1/4 of the fruit with seeds(probably 50 give or take) I
planted in a spot in my backyard that has irrigation as a test about 10 days
ago, no signs of anything yet...

I did notice, later that the store bought papaya had been "irradiated". My
thought immediately was that these seeds were shot from the start.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Brandon