Old 16-03-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default UV Sterilizer

he SAID to sterilize the water. I cant say whether he meant that or not, but there
ARE pond people believe their UV is killing the cooties, not just the algae. and
killing algae can be done with cheap low watt units that simply rough up the exterior
of the algae cause it to clump and get removed by a filter. I get rid of the algae
in my pond in 24 hours with a cheap and OLD UV, I dont bother changing "the bulb"
until the whole unit falls apart. and it has always cleared the algae just fine.
Ingrid

(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
you dont need a sterilizer unless you are putting this on a drinking water system
with very clear water. there is no way in an open system that you can sterilize the
water anyway.

The goal is not sterile water, obviouslu that's a non-starter. The goal is
to kill as many algae cells suspended in the water as possible. Even if you're
an optimal aquarist in the Dupla sense of the work a UV sterilizer helps and
makes the most crystal clear water you've ever seen. It probably won't do this
in a pond, but it'll get you closer.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com