Old 16-03-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Default neighbor brought over dendrobium

Dave,
The leaves appear to be all in the top third. I will try to take a photo
someday, but I have not been feeling well these past few days, so this will
need to be postponed a bit.
Thanks, Joanna

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
Joanna, next question - are the leaves all on the top third, or do they
grow for
more than half the length of the pseudobulb? I'm thinking of the
difference
between phalaenanthe (bigibbum/phalaenopsis etc) & spatulata (the curly
petals
of the discolor etc group). That's why I suggested a photo of the plant
growth
habit.

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:35:59 GMT, "J Fortuna"

wrote:

Steve and Weng,
Yes, all the old inflorescences are coming from the top, so I guess I am
lucky, and it is a Phal type dendrobium most likely. I will try to adjust
my
watering schedule for both the mini-catts and the dendrobium.
Thanks,
Joanna

"Weng" wrote in message

J Fortuna Wrote:

It's tag just says Dendrobium, so I assume that it is one of the most
popular types of dendrobiums. Is it most likely to be a Phalaenopsis
type
dendrobium?

Look at the pseudobulbs. If it is a Phalaenopsis type, you will find a
few old flower stalks at the top of the pseudobulbs. If you find many
stalks running down the top 2/3rds, it will be a Nobile type.

Happy growing,
Weng

--
Weng