Old 16-03-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Oldtimer

Default Soil PH meters

On 16 Mar 2006 04:18:42 -0800, "AndyS" wrote:

Andy writes:
Hi . I just "discovered" this group and have a question .

I see many versions of soil PH meters for sale from about $20 to $200.

Has anyone used these, do they work well, and are there any good
tips on operating them properly ??

Also, has anyone cross-checked their PH meter with litmus testing to
see if it continues to be reliable even after the sensors grow old ?

Thanks for any discussion on this.

Andy (retired engineer who just planted his first veg
garden)

Hi Andy!

Welcome,before I get to the meter let me say, you will not find
sliderule type accuracy in gardening. Much of it,if not most is "hit
or miss".

Yes, I have the meter, Yes I have checked it against PH paper. Is it
consistently accurate-No. Would I buy another if this one broke-Yes.

It has it's place in your gardening tool box, if your soil is very
close or below 6 or if the PH is very close or above 7.

Most people have trouble with the meter's accuracy because of the way
they use it.(including me). EXAMPLE: It rains, I check my PH and it
is 7.0, later I check it, it hasn't rained so I use my well water to
moisten the ground, and it checks 6.5. WHY?? Rainwater is generally
accepted to be 7.0 and my well water is 6.2. . .get the point.

I buy distilled water(1gal last all year)and only run the test when
there hasn't recently been a rain.

Another thing, the soil 12" away may have a PH significantly different
from your last reading. Test in more than one place and average.

Always use the cleaning cloth that comes with meter to clean the
probes(it is of special material).

Hope this helps-Oldtimer!