Old 16-03-2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Devonshire

Default Soil PH meters

On the day of 16 Mar 2006 04:18:42 -0800...
"AndyS"
typed these letters:

Andy writes:
Hi . I just "discovered" this group and have a question .

I see many versions of soil PH meters for sale from about $20 to $200.

Has anyone used these, do they work well, and are there any good
tips on operating them properly ??

Also, has anyone cross-checked their PH meter with litmus testing to
see if it continues to be reliable even after the sensors grow old ?

Thanks for any discussion on this.

Andy (retired engineer who just planted his first veg
garden)

I paid about $30 for an attractively packaged electronic PH meter
several years ago. It didn't work. I have tested my dirt with soil
test kits. I got believable results with those. I have no standard
to compare my results with so I can't claim they are accurate either.
After adjusting my soil according to my soil test recommendations
I noticed no difference in plant growth.

As an alternative to these devices I would recommend looking into
this. In my state and maybe yours too there is an agricultural
department that does soil testing free of charge as a service to
farmers. Here you can get boxes and a from from the local
agricultural agent. On the form you list what you intend on planting
and some other information. In the box you put some dirt collected
from a few areas of your garden. Then drop it in the mailbox. About
6 weeks later you get very detailed results of your soil test and
recomendations of what to add based on what you intend on growing.
I would imagine that the states testing equipment is a bit more
accurate than what I can purchase affordably and locally.

Devonshire