Old 16-03-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default planting tomotoes in hanging baskets

On 16/3/06 13:24, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

Can someone give me some advice on planting tomotoes in hanging
baskets. I'm growing some tumbling tom seeds and once they have grown
to a big enough size and frosts have gone etc I want to plant them up
into hanging baskets.

So

What sort of hanging basket should I use , what should I line it with
paper, moss, coir ?

I prefer the look of moss but we also use that woolly stuff.

How many plants to a hanging baskets ?

3 or 4 will give you masses of stuff.

Do I plant them through the side or in the top ?

On the top.

I'm also growing Marigolds , should I put some of these in with the
toms ?

Are there any other companion plants that would be good with these toms
in the baskets ?

We tried growing Lobelia with them one year, just for the colour effect but
found that one took too much from the other, so now plant the tomatoes on
their own. I think you could try some of the small leaved Basil though.
Basil is said to help repel flies but I don't know if it works on other
pests. However, the combination is idea. When picking your toms, you pick
the Basil to go with them! Now if you could just start keeping water
buffalo, you'd have the mozarella, too!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk