Old 16-03-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Woodland Plant / weed ID please.

Uncle-C writes
Hi folks. As Spring is supposedly with us I decided to take a leisurely
stroll through my local woods. There was one weed/plant which had
sprung up almost everywhere. Unfortunatly, I do not know if it is a
weed or a flowering plant native to woodland.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/204/plantid1vv.jpg

It's on the top left hand corner of the picture. Broad leafed with
black markings on it. The height is about 5 - 8 inches and the grouping
in small clumps. I've even had a couple spring up in the back of my
garden which backs up to a small woodland area. Any ideas / info ???
Thanks !

I take it the pic is of your garden not the woods.

The description sounds like wild arum, lords-and-ladies,
jack-in-the-pulpit, cuckoo-pint (Arum maculatum). Rich green arrow
shaped leaves. But I'd be surprised to find it 'almost everywhere' - you
usually get the odd clump.

Difficult to identify from your picture which shows the leaf at an angle
so you can't see its full shape or size. If the leaf you're pointing to
isn't simply another cyclamen leaf, then it looks most like lesser
celandine, whose leaves are superficially similar but not as fleshy. But
I wouldn't describe the markings on a celandine leaf as black - more
silvery.

If it is a celandine, you'll know fairly soon as it will produce bright
yellow flowers like a mini waterlily.

I'd go for the Arum. But do have this worry about the abundance.
--
Kay