Old 16-03-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Cardoons - divide now?

In article ,
VivienB wrote:
I was given a single cardoon plant a few years ago, which I have not
divided at all in that time, so it is now a cluster of offsets. The
offsets are 10 to 12 inches high now. I thought they might do better
divided, but am unsure whether this is a good time to do it.

I believe that it is.

In this garden, the cardoons are kept for their striking appearance
and in the hope birds might take the seeds (not that I have seen them
show interest), not as a vegetable.

Very wise. Repulsant snozzcombers have nothing on cardoons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.