Old 16-03-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Woodland Plant / weed ID please.

On 16/3/06 20:13, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks. As Spring is supposedly with us I decided to take a

leisurely
stroll through my local woods. There was one weed/plant which had
sprung up almost everywhere. Unfortunatly, I do not know if it is a
weed or a flowering plant native to woodland.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/204/plantid1vv.jpg

It's on the top left hand corner of the picture. Broad leafed with
black markings on it. The height is about 5 - 8 inches and the

grouping
in small clumps. I've even had a couple spring up in the back of my
garden which backs up to a small woodland area. Any ideas / info ???
Thanks !

'Don't think it is the Arum lily. They tend to have erect arrow shaped
leaves.
Taking into account the scale of the foreground snowdrops and
cyclamen, I reckon it is more like Lesser Celandine, Ranunculus
ficaria. That can have dark marks on the leaves.
..... see http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/LesserCelandine.html

No, no, not Arum lily. Cuckoo pint. Arum lily is Zantedeschia aethopica.
The leaf the OP is talking about is not in the foreground but towards the
left back. THAT is, almost certainly, the cuckoo pint or Arum maculatum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk