Old 17-03-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

Default Woodland Plant / weed ID please.

Sacha wrote:
On 16/3/06 20:13, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks. As Spring is supposedly with us I decided to take a
leisurely stroll through my local woods. There was one weed/plant
which had sprung up almost everywhere. Unfortunatly, I do not know
if it is a weed or a flowering plant native to woodland.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/204/plantid1vv.jpg

It's on the top left hand corner of the picture. Broad leafed with
black markings on it. The height is about 5 - 8 inches and the
grouping in small clumps. I've even had a couple spring up in the
back of my garden which backs up to a small woodland area. Any
ideas / info ??? Thanks !

'Don't think it is the Arum lily. They tend to have erect arrow
shaped leaves.
Taking into account the scale of the foreground snowdrops and
cyclamen, I reckon it is more like Lesser Celandine, Ranunculus
ficaria. That can have dark marks on the leaves.
..... see http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/LesserCelandine.html

No, no, not Arum lily. Cuckoo pint. Arum lily is Zantedeschia
aethopica. The leaf the OP is talking about is not in the

foreground
but towards the left back. THAT is, almost certainly, the cuckoo
pint or Arum maculatum.

Yep. Got me! Strike Arum lily. Apologies for my faux pas. ......
But, I did in fact mean that I didn't think it looked like Arum
maculatum (Lords and Ladies / Cuckoo pint) because that tends to have
10 - 20 cm long arrow shaped leaves, held upright, at this time of
year. The arrow in the OPs picture is pointing (left back) at what
appears to have cordate heart shaped leaves, parallel with the ground,
of a size more apropriate to Lesser celandine ......... IMHO. :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 16.03.2006