Old 17-03-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Default Where to put pump

Bottom posted.
Roy wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:02:08 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
snip
Somewhere in the many rules of ponding is the law that states.
Pond drainings only occur at night, or when you're at work.

That law also applies to aquarium keeping as well.......and its fact.
I had an auto topoff on my one 210 gal reef tank for more than three
years , and it worked perfectly since day one. The very first time we
went away for a weekend, we came back to a soggy carpet, and a pump
running dry......the darn thing stuck and overfilled the tank and
droppd my salinity from a 1.025 to a 1.020 or so.......Lucky I did not
fill the resivoir up before we left or it would have been much worse
as it would have had 40+ gal of water to dilute that tank with. ONly
loss and it was not really a loss, was a soggy carpet......and all the
corals and livestock came out ok. I shudder to think how much $$$ is
in that reef tank.

Did you use a backup float switch? Or did the domino effect or murphy's law
make that idea (the backup float switch) worthless? I'm using backups on
mine.... Good luck and later!