Old 17-03-2006, 02:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Cuttings...

meee wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

meee wrote:

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:21:01 GMT, "meee"
wrote in aus.gardens:

Hi everyone, advice needed! I have planted some vegies in my greenhouse
this
year, as it's the only way I can keep kids and dogs from destroying
everything. Unfortunately, I forgot about pollination! Nothing much can
get
in there, and being in the city, there aren't many insects around
anyway,
excepting ants. So far I have tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pawpaw and
runner
beans planted. I have a vague idea on pollinating pumpkins, but nothing
on
the rest. The runners have already started flowering, the zucchinis are
popping up buds, but the rest is still growing. Any help would be very
much
appreciated! I can't leave the door open; I already tried, and the dogs
just
dug everything up....don't get me started on what the kids did! So
everything will have to stay shut.

Have you tried flitting from flower to flower with a soft camel hair
paint brush (photo brush?)

Used to work for my old man

Aaah now I have one of those!!! Thanks!!

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

PS Lavender is very easy to propagate from cuttings.
Keep it moist and it will grow. Now is a good time, going into winter to
propagate this

Would Lavender do ok in the tropics?

Should do fine, depending on it not getting wet feet. IE need good
drainage, but otherwise theyre reasonable tough.
Theres also different species. As I'm in Melbourne, the weather can
vary, but no problems, and weve had temperatures up to 43 C. at times.
I grow a few varieties. Look around locally and ask for cuttings. Real
gardeners shouldnt mind. .