Old 13-03-2003, 01:32 AM
animaux

Default organic acid for blueberries

Nothing added to soil will keep the pH low enough to grow blueberries unless the
pH is already low. Horticultural sulfur may help, but not likely. Peat moss
has a low pH, but not substantial enough to develop an acid soil forever. It
also gets used up fast in warm climates and adds nothing to the soil structure.

I was considering growing some blueberries in a large container this year. I
still may. It's much easier to keep pH low in a container. They really do need
a 4.5 to 5.0 pH to thrive. There may be some new varieties which can be
relatively productive with higher pH, but they have to be sought out.

Victoria

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:50:08 -0500, "Michael Brant" wrote:

I was reading Gene Logsdons "Gardener's Guide to Better Soil" just this
morning and he recommends using peat moss as an additive or oak leaves could
be another amendment.

MB

"Vernon Brown" wrote in message
.. .
I'm putting a couple blueberries in, and I like to stay organic with my
garden..
What is the best organic way to lower the Ph of the soil so the

blueberries
are happy.
I've read : saw dust is one suggestion.

Thanks