Old 17-03-2006, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default Soil PH meters

"AndyS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Andy writes:
Hi . I just "discovered" this group and have a question .

I see many versions of soil PH meters for sale from about $20 to $200.

Has anyone used these, do they work well, and are there any good
tips on operating them properly ??

A waste of time and money.

Also, has anyone cross-checked their PH meter with litmus testing to
see if it continues to be reliable even after the sensors grow old ?

Litmus as an indicator on its own is no good either as it does not give you
a range, just a sharp cutoff at a given pH (I forget the value). Around
here there are good mixed dye indicator systems that are cheap, reliable,
give you a range of pH and are accurate enough for the purpose. Ask at your
garden shop, they are likely to have them.

David