Old 13-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Hussein M.

Default Winter Flowering Cyclamen

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:37:22 -0000, "Rod"
wrotc:

BTW if you or anybody else want more of those and other Cyclamen at
reasonable prices, good quality and not stolen from the wild go to Ann and
Les Cordes at
http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html

No connection with me I'm just a happy customer.

Ditto about the happy customer bit .. but this time it's in
extolling the service of :-

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/

They have some rather wonderful species Cyclamen which aren't
offered by Willows (inc persicum).

Rather expensive (Av. £4.50 per plant) - but nice to have one as a
little secret in a corner. C. repandum looks interesting, is hardy and
would reveal it's secret corner in that it stays in flower longer than
the others.

If the OP would like a little read about growing Cyclamen, this is
from their site:

These are hardy and half-hardy species. In the garden most of the
species that we offer (don't extend this rule to others that we don't
sell!) enjoy a well-drained leafy soil in light shade. Under such
conditions hederifolium seeds freely, whilst cilicium, coum, mirabile
and pseudibericum will self-sow more modestly. In the open garden,
place the top of the tuber about 3cm deep, and add a surface layer of
leaves or fir / pine needles. Leaf growth will die away completely in
the summer, this is normal, they appear again in autumn or spring
depending on the species.

Under glass tender species such as graecum and rohlfsianum are best
grown in pots, but ensure that they are frost-free since even garden
hardy species will die if their pots are frozen through and their
tubers frozen. A loam based compost with added drainage such as John
Innes compost No3 is ideal. Potted plants can have their tubers at the
surface or just buried.

We can send Cyclamen out at almost any time of the year, although we
may have to remove their leaves (to prevent rotting in transit) when
they are sent out "green" over the winter. They come to no harm and
grow again at the appropriate time of the year.

Hussein
Grow a little garden