Old 17-03-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Weather Driving Me Nuts

"Mel" wrote
This awful weather is driving me nuts! Up here in Bolton it's either
raining or snowing; the soil is either frozen or sodden, and the forecast
is
for much of the same. I ventured onto my allotment yesterday and almost
lost my boots to the mud! All this talk of hosepipe bans "dahn sahf" is
very perplexing to me up here i't'north.

I went down the allotments and planted my shallots and onions sets on
Wednesday, beautiful sunny day and little wind but my point is the ground
was perfect for hoeing, unheard of this time of year, normally just mud.
Wellies came away clean too.
Rivers are at or even below normal summer levels, especially the Thames.
It's actually quite worrying seeing as they want to build goodness knows how
many more houses in the SE.
Mind you, there has been a big water leak at Hampton, just by the water
works, that was there for at least a fortnight if it's fixed yet. They just
put "Flood" and "Ice" signs out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden