Old 17-03-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

Default Raised vegetable beds from scratch - Help?

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:54:09 +0000, covehithe wrote
(in article .com):

My mother has moved to a new house and wants to establish some raised
beds for veggies.
The previous owner has left approx 30 - 6" x 2" treated boards - never
got around to doing it.
The area in question is all lawn. I'm a a towney and got decking (sad
I know!) outside my backdoor and know nothing about raised beds. I'm
going to fix the planks in place but what do I do from there on in as
to preparation??
Do I have to remove all the grass, dig it
What do I put in the bed in the way of soil, compost etc.

We made life easier for ourselves by not digging out the grass. Get some
heavy duty cardboard boxes (try an electrical shop) and open them out on top
of the grass so that it is all covered. Pile in quantities of well rotted
horse manure (free from a local stables/friend with a horse) and then add
some top soil. The cardboard will rot down and the worms will do the rest.
You will have to top it up (ideally add some more manure over the winter)
because the level will probably sink.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk