Old 13-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Cass

Default S&W Greenhouse Roses

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.ceb02e522cf0a3aac7aaa25558b5b62e@104 7517923.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:
Cass wrote:

Flutterby

Anyway, Flutterbye is mostly yellow, tho is has some
peachy tones. And I know nothing else because it is so young. It grows
large enough in SoCal to be grown as a climber. I will grow it as a
shrub.

Meaning you will allow the canes to "fountain" or cascade or whatever I
mean? Or will you peg it?

Mostly meaning I'll see what shape it wants to be and let it grow that
way if it suits me. I somehow have the impression that it is upright,
so I will take special care not to remove lower growth so it doesn't
look bare at the bottom.

I have a rose to peg, but first I have to relocate both roses on either
side of it. What a pain.

Do you have Tropical Sunset? Not the best rose--no SCENT, either--but I
still like it. Blooms yellow and orange, fades to delicious shades of
peach and coral. Only rose I have noticed that ages to a prettier version
of itself.

Okay, now I'm learning to like orange, see, but don't push me too far
too fast. When it comes to color improving with aging, just wait till
you watch Joseph's Coat. Wowsers.

Can't wait to execute Angel Face, but it won't die.

Mine (an Edmund's bare root from my first batch, 2000 I guess) is
languishing in a pot--looked at it the other day and there are jaunty
little sprigs of new growth all along its cane. Cane, singular. Pathetic
rose. I thought it was just me. A guy at Gardenweb grows a gorgeous one in
Atlanta, I think it is. Huge and full of flowers. In ATLANTA. Even I
shudder to think of what chemicals he must have to use.

Yeah, I saw some braggart in Texas with a five footer. Beautiful, and
not the climber either. I wanted to puke. But I thought it might be the
heat. Don't you have hot summers? Or maybe it only likes Baptists?
Clean living? Who knows. It rusts here.

I'd a thought Westerland would be your preference. I moved my two 6 x 8
plants this winter, BR'd them. They're leafing out now. That's a huge
rose here, not exactly a climber, more like a floribunda on steroids. I
can't get the canes to bend, so the flowers end up high.

Oooch! I killed Westerland in the overfertilization episode. Along with
Distant Drums, Livin' Easy, Abraham Darby, and some $4 bagged faux
Granadas that deserved to die--and some others I cannot bear to recall. I
might reorder Westerland. It has scent, right?

Yes....but it's described as...I can't remember the exact name... and
this will ruin it for you forever...the scent of Cutex nail polish
remover. And I'll admit I actually like it, tho it cloys after a
while, big surprise. It's a terrific rose here, just really really
stiff and big - not quite as stiff as Altissimo but just as thorny,
longer basals that will arch almost to the ground and then snap off.
So it really needs some kind of support and can't make it here as a
shrub, not with our wind. I moved my two to a corner when the fence
meets in an "L". And I've seen it in a sheltered garden grown as a
pillar rose where the flowers start on the second story of the building
(a water tank, as I recall), the bottom of the canes bare. No, I have
no idea how they deadhead the thing, but climbing up a ladder and
pruning 12 feet off the ground is not convenient. On a fence, I think I
can secure it enough to keep the canes from breaking off, or that's the
plan.