Old 18-03-2006, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

Default Traveling Sprinkler

In Palmdale, Ca. you have to keep your lawns clean and watered and GREEN,
it's in the city codes now. Glad I don't live there, I'm 35 miles north and
use water in my flower garden, not on a lawn.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"Travis M." wrote in message
"sylvan butler" wrote in
message rnal
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:31:17 GMT, Travis M.
wrote:
"sylvan butler" wrote
in
message rnal
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:13:10 GMT, Travis M.
wrote:
"sylvan butler"
wrote
in message
rnal
start it on one side of the house and it travels to the
back of
the
yard, across, then back along the other side. Takes all
day,
but
he doesn't have to babysit it. Cheaper brands didn't last,
but

Why is he wasting all that water?

Don't ass-u-me he is.

I'm not assuming anything. If someone is watering a lawn/grass
all day water is being wasted.

My, aren't you the self-righteous know-it-all.

Except you apparently don't know that you are operating on 100%
assumption.

How much water is being put down on the lawn during the watering?
How
much does it require for the area covered? Subtract the second
from the
first to calculate the waste. Time watering is meaningless by
itself.

You don't know the size of the area nor the flow rate of the
sprinkler
nor the requirements of the landscaping beyond "lawn/grass." Hence
you
cannot know the amount of water being deposited relative to the
needs of
the landscaping being watered.

I'd give you an example with concrete numbers, but I get the feeling
that would be a waste of time.

sdb

If someone is watering their lawn/grass in the summer just to keep it
green they are wasting water. Let the grass/lawn go dormant in the summer
and when it starts raining again the grass will green up.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5