Old 18-03-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default What newsreaders do people use?

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 06:40:02 -0800 in pYUSf.42941$V27.33588@fed1read06 wendy7 wrote:
Also Dave, The setting of a false addy, not sure how it's done, I
get help & don't write it down. This stops a tremendous amount of
junk mail. Ever notice if you sign up for a new NewsGroup you start
getting more junk mail.

The first spams don't show up until you first post to a newsgroup :-).

More importantly is setting up a "false" address that does not violate
the AUP for your ISP.
Changing the part to the right of the @ may be construed as impersonating
someone at another ISP.
IE, if I used my ISP or my dad's ISP could receive complaints
about me from the folks at acme.com.
Changing the left hand side could land you on someone else's account,
another violation.

Doing something like
has the benefit of
being within the AUP, and having the mail addressed to a machine
that doesn't receive mail.
has the additional benefit of being addressed
to a box that isn't even running.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil