Old 18-03-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Composting bins - do they work

K wrote:
yitzak writes
Thinking of getting one - local council is offering them quite cheap.
The sort that the compost just drops out of the bottom flap.
I would have to stand it on concrete floor and my garden is v.small
(4.5m x 4.5m).
I cannot see how they can work well because how does the air get to it??

There will be plenty of air in amongst the stuff you put in. It's only
when it's very densely packed that all the air is squeezed out of it.

The trick is to diversify the stuff you put in too: grass clips, ash,
veg stuff, cardboard, leaves, but the later tend to sludge a bit if
packed in one layer. Ideally having another box for the leaves is great
(or plastic bags which I often forget but when found is a real treat.
Mix the lot often and ask a boy in your family (not you Kay but the OP
;o) to wee in it ...

Can't hardly type - my fingers are still numb ... but the sun came out
today and boy was it warm on my back ) Ribes (white and red) are
flowering before the daffs and tulips !?!