Old 18-03-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Composting bins - do they work

"H Ryder" wrote in message
They are very slow compared to a normal compost heap,

why? is it because the sides are covered?
I have inherited a couple and have filled one (in layers of different
stuff). How long should I leave it before eI get it all out and remix it?

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

They do not work as well as a normal traditional bin because
the size is not optimal.The biggest plastic bins are about 300L and the
optimal size for a heap is 1000L. min. For this reason they do not heat up
as fast or retain heat as well as the conventional bins. In addition the
thin plastic is not as good as solid planks in term of retaining heat.
I do not think there is enough air penetration in the plastic bins, unless
you have a very loose mix.
Give it a good mix every few months or if your lazy like me just leave it
for as long as it takes.
Do not be impatient to obtain the compost. If it's ready in six months count
yourself lucky.