Old 18-03-2006, 11:37 PM
garden-addicted garden-addicted is offline
Registered User

Location: Derbyshire

I am not a massive fan of these plastic compost bins as they dont let air or worms in.

The best compost heap I own is made out of 4 pallets. Each pallet makes one side of the compost heap, the front one has been cut down to allow easy access to the front.

Then I have used old carpet to cover the top.

The worms get in from the bottom, the air gets in from the side, the heat is kept in by the carpet and the moisture is also kept at an optimal level by the carpet.

It is also easy to turn the compost every now and again with a garden fork.

Now how can you get all this with the free council compost heap, but if you arn't a dedicted gardener then the free composters are a step closer to recycling.