Old 19-03-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default Is premium bird seed worth it?

"Blarneystone" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I picked up a bag of premium seed from the high-end garden shop nearby.
It was about $10 for 5lbs.

I was wondering if it's really better than buying a 25lb bag of
sunflower seed for $12 at wal mart?

Compared to the cheep-o seed I bought at home depot a few weeks ago
(was mostly the little beige kernels with a sunflower seed here and
there) They've really gone to town emptying my feeders in just a
matter of days.

Try the cheap brand, see how much waste the birds dump onto the ground. I
buy my seed from a local feed shop for about $0.30/lb. But you have to bag
it yourself from the bulk bin. Your Wal-Mart bag is $0.48/lb and the premium
seed is $2/lb. Ask yourself is it worth the $1.50 premium?

From my local feed shop, black oil sunflower seed only $0.69/lb, and about
$0.50/lb for large sunflower seed. I bet the premium bird seed is mostly
sunflowers, with some mullet and red mullet seeds, maybe cracked corn and
peanuts. You can probably easily make your own premium bird seed mix for
under $0.50/lb

-S