Old 19-03-2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default I'm Baaaack...(new waterfall plans)

Can you post a picture of the project on alt.binaries.aquaria? It would be
fun to see.

Thinking on the big logs: You might check around to see if logs are rotting
in your neck of the woods. I am thinking that big logs leave big empty
spaces if they rot out.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Gareee,
Around here, logs will rot and settle. If they are under your waterfall
and
rot, that could be a significant problem. RR ties work better...or
treated
wood. We have both in our berm as structural elements. They are doing
fine
after 8 years.

These are BIG.. like I can hardly move them big. I'm 6 foot tall, and I

can
barely circle them with my arms!

I was planning on using them, and also large rocks, (maybe riprap), n

such.
I'll consider the advise though, and see what else I can dig up.

I'm cycling th ewater again today.. a simple system seems to be to run a
pump from one end, and from the other end, just drop the garden hose in.

The pump pumps out faster then the garden hose, so after an hour or so, I
need to let it catch up by stopping the pump.

I also then use the hose to wash settled matter towards the pump, so it

can
pump it out.

The fish seem fine with this, and it give them time to adapt to the new
water. (We pretty much get fresh mountain water here, and they probably

add
some gov regulated chemicals, but doesn't seme to taste like that.

BTW, anyone here have a little giant WGP-65?? I just bought it to run a
small stream/waterfall, and am wondering if it's powerful enough for that?

The lift will probably be about 4-5 feet tops, and the line from th epond

the upper pondlet will probably be about 20 feet tops.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)