Old 19-03-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

Default Quality and cost of seed

"James" wrote:
Planting garlic is a myth. I grow 200 elephant garlic plus a few
hardneck garlic. Ticks and mosquitoes just love hiding around
the leaves. Of course eating garlic is different but it makes me
fart a lot. It doesn't stop mosquito from biting my butt.

g Okay, I'll go for that. But here's four plants effective against
misquitoes.

(1) Basil - I had a ton of basil planted last year and it seems helpful.
(2) Rosemary - I've got a rosemary plant out back as well, both
neighbors however have ponds, running water.
(3) Southernwood - I don't even know what this is at the moment
but if you've got some, it's reported to be effective against malaria
mosquitoes. I'm not a mosquito expert and this all comes from a
book written by Louise Riotte (1975 Garden Way Publishing).
(4) Wormwood - Again I'm not sure what this is, but perhaps you
know. This one, also, is reported to be helpful against "malaria"
mosquitoes.

I see mosquitoes occasionally, however I'm not bothered too much
by them.

Currently I seem plagued by some sort of gnats. They fly all over
everywhere and are very small (maybe a mm in size at most). Not
sure what they're called, but I've seen them in the past up north.
Guess that might mean I need to plant some more basil. Some of
the basil have gone to seed so I'll try that.

Hope this helps.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.