Old 19-03-2006, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dusty Bleher

Default Beans and Onions: Too Close for Comfort?

G'day Jim & all;

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
. ..
course I don't know what a good vine of cherry tomatoes produces
because I've only had one such vine so far. g I ended up with 30
tomatoes off the first run and it's still blooming some flowers.

Anyone here that might relay their production run from cherry
tomato
vines? Thanks.

Back in the early '70's we lived just outside Sacramento. One fine
spring morning I bought a package of tomato seedlings from a local
nursery for the garden. The fellow counting them out tossed in one,
small mangled cherry tomato plant with the ones I'd purchased. Our
garden was in the corner of two fences. The mangled plant was
tossed onto the compost heap, that was at the apex of the corners
furthest back.

Well, that mangled little cherry tomato flourished. It ended up
with flowers up the wazoo! So, because it had so many flowers
(looked to be 60-80 or so), we decided to keep a count of how many
we picked. The rules we only those tomatoes that made it into
the house for washing and eating were to be counted. Those that
were eaten out of hand in the garden didn't count (for me alone,
that was a considerable amount). And with two precocious little
girls that delighted in "grazing" in the garden, many fell victim to
that onslaught. As the summer progressed, the plant grew up the
walls, and topped it by 6-feet or so. Then, during a late summer
storm, the top collapsed into our neighbors yard--and continued to
flourish. They delightedly ate many, and none of those were
counted. By late October the flowers stopped. The final count?
1,158!

L8r all,
DustyB

Jim Carlock