Old 19-03-2006, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Raised vegetable beds from scratch - Help?

"K" wrote in message
George.com writes

You can essentially put anything in from already made compost to the raw
ingredients, some mushroom compost, any turf from around the garden (put

it
at the bottom so it won't grow up),

The previous suggestion of simply building on top of the lawn also
leaves a layer of turf to rot down to humus.

layers of straw and manure. There is no
secret recipe, at least in my experience, apart from making sure it is a
balance of nutrients (nitrogen etc). It all depends on how long you want

wait before you plant.

The cardboard suggestion is a good one or old hessian floor underlay can

be
quite acceptable at keeping grass out (an old house being renovated or
perhaps a carept layer

Wool carpet only

you are meaning using wool carpet only as far as carpets are concerned? As
opposed to using wool carpet at the expense of hessian type underlay?

The more modern underlays I have seen are mostly a spongy reddish material
and look a bit like ceiling/wall insulation. Obviously in vege gardens or
areas people are worried about toxins they will think seriously before using
that as a mulch. In areas where a permanent mulch is wanted however I would
consider using that before I would plastic. Plastic sheeting isn't high on
my fan list and the underlay gets used another round. It can be very good
(as can synthetic capret) for weed suppression in areas which have been left
to go to weed. It can be layed over a patch of weeds for several
months/years to suppress the weed growth and then be moved on elsewhere.
Some care needs to be taken (like periodic lifting/inspection) to ensure the
weeds don't grow through the fibres of the underlay/carpet.

rob