Old 13-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] redwood roots

I am pretty new to bonsai, and I have been working on training my redwood
into a formal upright bonsai. I transfered it into a 5 gallon bucket, from a
1 gallon bucket, because I want the trunk to thiken.When I was transplanting
it, I found the main roots coming from the trunk. There are only two, but
they are good sized roots. The problem I had, was one of the main roots
wrapped around, and went directly underneath the other root. I chopped the
root off that made a circle, before it wrapped under the other root, as I
was told by the bonsai teacher at my club. The question I have is, is it OK
to leave dead roots within the rootball? I tried to get all the roots out
that were attached to the root I cut, but it is very hard to get them all.
Also, should I comb all the roots out before I transplant it? I planted the
tree, and the roots were still in a ball. Will this cause problems?Thanks
for any help or advice, it is truly appreciated. - Colin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++