Old 19-03-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Keeping the cats out

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the
cats will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates.
I know I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I
dislike cats I would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an
alternative to stop them crossing the gates and fencing?

Short of a big dog or tennis court height chain link fencing,
its doubtful IMO. What's more as with all animal cunning, as soon
as there's a hole or a gap anywhere, every interested cat in the
neighbourhood will know all about it within a matter of hours.
Without wishing to sound too facetious the chicken wire
is both mouse and rat proof then I take it ? I don't have any
data to hand but IMO the presence of cats - even patrolling
toms seems to register on the rodent population. Cats don't
just catch mice they persuade them to move elsewhere. Which
also presents problem to people who like both cats and birds
in the garden. However this as I say this is only an opinion
based on limited experience but may be wrong.

michael adams