Old 19-03-2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

sigh. it is a training thing. put a leash on them. walk them up to the plant,
point to it, yell no and haul them away. do this about 10 times and they should
start putting the brakes on as you start to haul them up to the pots. if this doesnt
work then put a bit of bitter apple in a sprayer, or, get the bitter apple spray and
hit them with that. soon they form a negative link with approaching the pots.
dont put fertilizer on top of the dirt. also mulch the pots and spray with bitter
apple. I had a dog got into and mostly ate bone meal. blood meal would also attract
them. OTOH, I dont leave my dogs out alone in our very fenced in and private yard
because I dont want them thinking up mischief or being stolen. Ingrid

Arman wrote:

I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now my
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of them
but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots and
20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i would
love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising and
unappealing to my dogs.

i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the outer
perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?

any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowering
plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exist
peacefully.

thank you all,
arman.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at