Old 19-03-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

Default Seed starting for Lettuce Indoors

Hi everyone, it's gardening time again!
smile

I always have a difficult time with starting my lettuce plants
indoors. This year I took a new approach which was more
successful than previous years. Here's the details...

I'm using those modular plastic seed starting things
with 6 cells per 5 inch by 5 inch module, each filled
with pre-moistened seed starting mix. Then I water
each cell with a water & benolmyl solution to keep
it safe from mildew & disease. Ok, that's my usual
routine with all my plants starrted indoors.

The part I did different this year is that instead of
using a tweezer to plant 3 or 4 lettuce seeds per
cell, I spill out the seed on a flat surface and use my
fingers to pinch a whole bunch of seeds and then
gently push the whole bunch into the very top layer
of soil for a given cell. The results were great becasue
now I have about 6 to 10 sprouts in each cell. Then I
used a pair of mini electrical diagonal cutters to snip
out all but 2 sprouts in each cell.

Question is...
How many lettuce sprouts should I allow to grow per cell?

---pete---