Old 19-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
AngieNews2

Default When to start up BioFalls?

Thanks John,
I appreciate your advice
Angie
"JB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Angie,

I used to have a bio falls filter on a similar sized pond. (I've since
upgraded to a pond that's about 3,000 gallons and am using a larger bio
falls filter on it.) I left my filter/falls off one year but ran it after
that. What I did do was replace the 1600 gph Oase pump that I used during
Spring/Summer/Fall with a smaller one and I raised the pump a greater
distance off the pond bottom than normal. This kept water running through
the filter, which I believe is better for the bacteria and I wasn't super
chilling the water on the bottom. Then, in early spring, I'd take out the
bags of lava rock, bio balls and filter pads, give everything a good
cleaning and hook back up the larger pump.

So, to your question: I guess you could start your filter/falls back up
without any problem but you're still going to have to do your annual
cleaning to get it back to working.

John

"AngieNews2" wrote in message
Hi
I put in a new 900 gal. pond last fall with a Biofalls filter/waterfall.
We shut it down for the winter and used a Thermopond de-icer, which
worked great! I have Shubunkins/snails/frogs.

Should I start up my biofalls now? The pond is ice free, but still cold
up here in SW Ontario Canada (35-40F deg. days).
(We have seen light snow in April before.)
Thanks in advance.