Old 19-03-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
sylvan butler

Default Traveling Sprinkler

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:24:49 -0800, presley wrote:
Ultimately, as water becomes an ever-more-precious resource, lawn watering
will have to go, or will have to be significantly reduced in areas which are

Probably so.

possible to plant buffalo grass or some other native grass which could
survive on 10-15 inches of rain a year. It won't look like or feel like the

Most will not survive _any_ traffic with that little water, especially
if the water is concentrated during the dormant season(s).

Buffalo grass specifically, is dormant nearly all year here. Too cold
in the winter, too hot in the summer. It grows for a few weeks in the
spring and fall and is brown the rest of the time. Also, most people
object to the prickly seed burrs... I know my wife, kids and animals
do. And if you think quackgrass runners are bad, buffalo isn't for you.

bluegrass lawns we are used to, but if it starts to cost $600-1000 summer
just to maintain a lawn, lots of families and individuals are going to

Many people already pay $40/week in lawncare. If that were to double
because of water costs the landscape would most likely change.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com