Old 20-03-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default Is premium bird seed worth it?

Tom Randy wrote in

On 2006-03-18 14:39:16 -0500, "Blarneystone"
said:

Hi,

I picked up a bag of premium seed from the high-end garden
shop nearby.
It was about $10 for 5lbs.

I was wondering if it's really better than buying a 25lb
bag of sunflower seed for $12 at wal mart?

Compared to the cheep-o seed I bought at home depot a few
weeks ago (was mostly the little beige kernels with a
sunflower seed here and there) They've really gone to
town emptying my feeders in just a matter of days.

Is it worth it?

No. The birds can not read. They don't care or know the
difference. Get the cheaper stuff.

the cheaper stuff is mostly millet. if what you want to
attract is sparrows & pigeons, get the cheap stuff. if you
want cardinals, grosbeaks, juncos, nuthatches, etc, get the
more expensive blends with no millet. look at the types of
seed the birds you want to attract prefer, & buy that.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery