Old 19-03-2006, 11:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage

Default Size of seed potato in Sydney

Chookie writes:
Terry Collins wrote:

Whilst playing a computer game it suddenly occurred that part of our
problem with growing potatos might be that we are starting with too
small a seed potato. Over the years, we seem to be harvest smaller and
smaller spuds.

So computer games do serve some use, apart from being an excuse to avoid
doing the weeding??

what size seed potatoes are peeps using.

There is an Australian farming company who achieved world fame (in the
farming world, not gaming world) by developing a technique for producing
TINY seed potatoes. You see, growing, transporting and planting the big
spuds is a waste of resources when an identical outcome can be had by
tiny taters. It's tempting to think that burying a big spud will give
rise to a plant that produces big spuds, but it's all to do with the
genes in the seed potato, not its dimensions. Really, it's yet another
example where size doesn't matter!

You can get spuds starting in the compost heap from just a peeling, so most
likely this is not the problem. Have you had the potatoes in the same spot?

Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Speaking of fowls, how are your chooks going, Chookie?