Old 19-03-2006, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Re-seeding lawn - should I start over?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently reseeded portions of my lawn. Having done inadequate
research beforehand, I realize I didn't prepare the soil as well as I
should have. I only raked the surface (about 3/4" deep) and used some
old potting soil as a topper, instead of mulch.

is the seed actually dowed into the potting mix? If so, my suspicion is that
it will not make a very good starter environment for grass seed being much
too coarse. I use plain soil. Others may be able to confirm, or otherwise,
my suspicion.

If you have used the mulch to keep the soil warm it indicates you have
probably sowed too early. If it is to keep moisture in there are
laternatives which will not potentially retard the growth of the seed
(making it too difficult for them to battle up through). I stake down some
frost cloth or hessian sacking, it helps retain the moisture.

rob