Old 20-03-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Arman wrote in
:
Hi Oren & others who have made some valid suggestions,

Thank you!!!!!

I am going to try the moth ball and this spray suggestion
and see how it goes. Trouble is where I live, its hot ...
real hot .. so i have to water my plants twice a day so
they won't wilt. will the moth ball hurt the plants? also
how safe is it in vege containers? right now i am growing
varieties of lettuce, leafy veges (spinach) and beans, is
it safe to keep moth ball in those containers?

i like using organic fertiliser, so some i mulch and i also
use tea leaves and grounded up egg shells, could they be
attracting the dogs?

rob, you might have a point abt the dogs being bored. i
train and show dogs but recently i've been so busy between
work, my toddler, my evening classes at the university and
a bunch of house guests who show sign of leaving that i
have actually neglected my dogs quite a bit. so like
someone here said, now that i've realised that they are
bored, maybe doing something abt that will help get them
off my plants. hmmm... !!

you have a toddler? forget the mothballs!!! you shouldn't use
them in near food anyway, but they're VERY toxic (and very
attractive to toddlers).
i strongly suspect doggy boredom, so try taking care of that
first. if the plant pots are not very accessable to the child,
you might try a solar powered electric fence around them. my
son knew all about electric fences at 2, so if you can explain
not touching the wires, your child should be ok.
oh, you could possibly use an invisble fence to keep the dogs
out too... i just use electric fence for my dogs because thier
play area is fed off my pasture fencing.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery