Old 20-03-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

Default Seed starting for Lettuce Indoors

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:59:46 -0500, "TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net
wrote:

Question is...
How many lettuce sprouts should I allow to grow per cell?

My guess is two sprout, maybe three per cell. The problem will be
separating them from each other when it/s time to transplant into the
garden. Too many sprouts per cell will make a dense rat/s nest of roots.

--------
Ok, so that means I should only have one sprout per cell because
I can imagine being able to separate them after they've grown
grown a bit. lettuce plants are so delicate. What I'll do is initially
leave 2 sprouts per cell and then after one or both get to a point
where I can see they will survive, I'll just keep the strongest one
and cut out the other.

Thanks!

---pete---