Old 20-03-2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

Default Seed starting for Lettuce Indoors

On 20 Mar 2006 06:44:02 -0800, "hen3ry" wrote:

You may want to try this method. I sprinkle a few lettuce seeds into a
container lined with damp paper towelling, put a lid on it and place in
a not too warm place, for lettuce seeds, about twentyfour hours. After
this time the seeds will have chitted and can be lifted with a pair of
tweezers and planted one to seed thingy.

------
Dave, I like that idea!
Come to think of it, that sounds like an excellent way to make use
of old seed packets of any type of plant. I keep track of my seeds
and when they get so many years old I automatically get rid of them
for fear that I plant them and they won't sprout, leaving me short of
that kind of plant. However, with your method I can dump out the
entire "old" seed packet onto the paper towel and pick out the
seeds that actualy germinated and then toss out the rest.

Thanks!
---pete---