Old 20-03-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
mmccaws2

Default Home made insecticidal soap for chemical sensitive folks

Looks like there are some active environmentalist in Alaska with the
same concerns. Here is one page that suggests using castille soap

http://www.ipmofalaska.homestead.com/files/soap.html

Thanks everyone.

wendy7 wrote:
Oh my, sorry to hear that you have this problem, I damaged my esophagus a year ago,
accidently breathing in exhaust fumes!
You are going to have to go the natural way, using predators, like LadyBugs etc.
Hope you find something.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

mmccaws2 wrote:
Hi Wendy7

It is lung tissue permeability to VOCs. So, depending upon the
chemical, alcohol, aldehydes, benzenes, acetones etc, I will take on
the symptoms as if exposed directly to a strong dose of that chemical.
Symptoms like fatigue, head-aches, dizzy-ness, loss of balance,
breathing restrictions. And depending on the exposure, and I'm
talking about doses that people find annoying when a little old
person slathers it on,lotion, perfume, or fabric spray, I've been
bed-ridden for up to two full days and general discomfort afterwards.
So, I have to find simple solutions like soap and oil, picking off
the bugs, I really can't risk exposure to many of the things that
people are suggesting.

I too have a gas mask like that. I find that even wearing masks with
new cartridges in painted rooms I start sensing significant levels
after 15 minutes or so, and after that they're no good. Part of the
problem is I can't always sense a harmful source till I start
experiencing symptoms. Unfortunately, there is only one true method
of preventing exposure to harmful chemicals and that is don't go into
environments with harmful chemicals.