Old 20-03-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting bins - do they work

I have one that was free from the council and it used to be on
concrete, and I did get some compost after about a year. I did mix the
stuff going in and put in a fair amount of cardboard.

Now we have had the bed expanded and the bin goes on the soil, and the
compost is looking a bit better after just 4 or 5 months, and winter
ones at that. And there are worms milling around the top - I'm
assuming they are hanging out in the warm bit round the rim!

I have tried opening the flap to get the stuff out but whoever said
that is right, it is a nonstarter. I don't have anywhere else to put it
so I lift it up about a foot at one side, scrape out a bucket full or
more, and put it back. If I need more just then I do the same the
other side.

We use our receipts for kindling...

Katie