Old 20-03-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Looking after seedlings while on holiday

Gardening_Convert writes
I've just pricked out several seedlings and have them in 3 different
unheated propogators (with lids) in the conservatory.

I will be going on holiday on Wednesday for 7 days . Do you think
as long as they are well water before I leave that they will survive 7
days without any attention . Or should I try and leave them with
someone while I'm away ?

I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

If they're in a conservatory, it depends entirely on the weather. A week
of cloud, and you'll probably be OK. A sunny day, and the temperature
could rocket.

If it were me, I would move them to an east or north facing windowsill,
water them well, and leave the lids on with no ventilation. Not
guaranteed success, but it's what I usually do when away for a week.

Only you know whether that will be more reliable than the person you
have in mind.
--
Kay