Old 20-03-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default Looking after seedlings while on holiday

Sla#s wrote:
"H Ryder" wrote in message
I'm just concerned as I think I should be starting to let air in etc
but I don't want to do that in case they dry out

What do you think

you could try this:
get a bucket of water, stand it near the seedlings, get a towel,
soak the towel, put one end of the wet towel into the bucket (weigh
it down if nec),
spread teh rest of the towel out and stand the seedlings on it. In
theory the towel will stay wet by soaking up all the water (it works
by capillary action, not gravity) and the seedlings will then stay
damp by soaking water
up off the towel.

The problem with that method I found was that it emptied too quickly.
I found a better way was to use capillary matting but in the supply
bowl put a upside-down jug with a slight gap, (wine making works
well,) then it only supplies when the matting starts to dry. The
supply bowl level must be below the base of the pots.

Slatts

B&Q sell propagators with a water resevoir and capillary matting. I used one
last year for my toms.
--
ßôyþëtë