Old 20-03-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
vivian

Default Japanese wrinkled cucumbers: breed?

Years and years ago (the early 70s) my parents used to vacation at a
place outside West Townsend, Vermont, called (I think) Wyndham Hill
Farm.

The owners grew all their own vegetables on-site and a big part of
WHF's attractiveness were the gourmet meals they prepared with them.

Many afternoon lunches featured sandwiches made with what we were told
were Japanese cucumbers--these were dark purple on the outside,
purplish-green on the inside, had very wrinkled skins (which were
eaten along with the rest of the cuke), and had a very crisp, almost
nutlike taste.

Does anybody have any idea what these might have been? I've looked at
literally hundreds of seed catalogs over the years and nothing called
a "japanese cucumber" per se has even looked remotely similar to what
I remember.

Before I die, I would love to eat another one of those delicious
sandwiches!

viv