Old 19-03-2006, 03:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terry Collins

Default Size of seed potato in Sydney

Chookie wrote:
In article
,
Terry Collins wrote:

Whilst playing a computer game it suddenly occurred that part of our
problem with growing potatos might be that we are starting with too
small a seed potato. Over the years, we seem to be harvest smaller and
smaller spuds.

what size seed potatoes are peeps using.

You can get spuds starting in the compost heap from just a peeling, so most
likely this is not the problem. Have you had the potatoes in the same spot?

So long as you have an eye, yes you can, but what I am looking at is the
size of the harvest. A multitude of spuds the size of lima beans are
not desireable. I am wanting to increase the size.

OTOH, could be out soil just isn't good enough for good spuds yet.

Yes, but we do not grow successive lots in the same spot.