Old 20-03-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default apple trees

In my first post, I suggested that Gerry contact a university that
specializes in caring for apple trees. That is always a good piece of
advice.

I feel that if your are over 21 years of age you can prune your trees when
ever you want to, February, March, or even August. Then I also told him
what I did and why. By all means, if you dont want to prune your trees at
that time, prune them when you want to. We both live in free countries and
are entitled to voice our opinions.

Dwayne

"K" wrote in message
Dwayne writes

"K" wrote in message
Dwayne writes

I prune all my trees around February 15, while they are dormant and
insects
are not around.

Why the owrry about pruning when there are no insects around?

Some insects gain entry to your fruit trees through "distressed" areas and
some introduce diseases to your trees through open wounds. Other
windbourn
diseases can also enter the same way (IE. Fire and cedar blight).

OK. Not all winters in the UK are sufficient to get rid of all insects. I
wouldn't have thought a clean cut would present much of a problem
disease-wise.

Sometimes I have to postpone it a few days if the weather
doesn't cooperate, but I always have it done by the end of Feb.

You are, of course, not posting from the UK.

No I am not, but I assume you still have cold weather in February and your
trees are dormant.

Indeed. It is now nearing the end of March and the trees are still
dormant. "I always have it done by the end of February" gives the
impression that it is now too late to prune, and that the OP has missed
the chance for this year. This is not the case. That's why I pointed out
you were not giving UK experience.

I lived in Germany for 3 years and their winters were
the same as ours. If I am wrong in your case, please correct me.

Our winters are probably wetter and warmer than Germany Our weather is
more changeable (the current prolonged cold spell is uncharacteristic),
and we probably have more cloud cover therefore lower light levels. You
mentioned elsewhere that your winters go down to -20 deg C - this would be
most unusual here, and in the SW there are places which rarely get any
frost.
--
Kay