Old 21-03-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
nonews

Default gardening with a bee/wasp allergy

Try the bug out net clothing at
http://www.wisementrading.com/insect...on/bug_out.htm
Also check local sports stores for similar items.
Wear a hat, long-sleeved shirt, long pants and leather gloves under this
protective net clothing for best protection.

"Janet Price" wrote in message
Last summer I had an allergic reaction to 4 wasp stings. I'm carrying
epi-pens and I'm doing the de-sensitization. I've always loved
gardening, so I'm trying to figure out strategies that will allow me to
garden and yet minimize bee and wasp activity so I don't get stung again.

My yard was sort of, uh, wild with all sorts of invasive stuff planted
by the previous owner. So my first step is cutting down anything that
is dense and out of control. It's not the bees I can see that worry me
so much as those I can't see. I'm going to have the house and deck
sprayed in April with something that is supposed to deter bees and
wasps. I'll hire someone to mow this summer as I did the end of last
summer. I can avoid the middle of the day when bee and wasp activity is
high and wear suitable clothing. Late summer and early fall seem to be
worse for bees and wasps than spring and early summer.

I don't have the kind of yellow jackets that are attracted to food, but
do have ones that look like them and try to build tiny nests all over
the place. What stung me, however, were white-faced hornets and I'd not
even noticed their nest but must have backed into it or near it while I
was mowing the lawn. I've not had any ground bees in my yard, but they
do live in west-central MA. My soil is clay, which I gather they don't
find as hospitable as sand.

Are there any other things I can do or should avoid? I refuse to simply
have no flowers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Janet