Old 21-03-2006, 08:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Cuttings...

John Savage wrote:

Chookie writes:

My Bunnings has *raspberry canes* for sale atm. In Sydney!)

Is Sydney too warm for raspberry? I know it is ideal for blackberry;
I got rid of a lot of b/berry from the backyard 'garden' when I moved here
and I see plenty thriving on the suburban edges of bushland.

Day Mr Savage...
Raspberries? Related to blackberries, only not as vicious.
Shell be right mate. Otherwise report on "my raspberries wont grow"
section of subject heading...
Keep them wet and morning Sun only perhaps for your area.
(Got it right. Found this for you after typing this in. Intuition? YEP
How tinny is that! )
Watch out for fungus / blight...

http://www.bigw.com.au/Pages/DEPARTM...ening_July.ASP

*Berry, berry nice
*
There's a very good reason for growing your own berries. Berry fruits
are so soft when they're ripe that they are easily damaged. It's much
better to grow your own and enjoy them when they're yummily fresh and
fully ripe.

*Growing Raspberries
*Winter is a good season to think about planting raspberries because
packaged raspberry canes appear in the shops at this time of year.
Raspberries do best in areas with cool winters, where they'll grow
happily in full sun.* In warmer places raspberry plants prefer a little
bit of protection in the afternoon.
*
The first thing to do before planting is to clear away weeds because
their competition will really slow the growth of the raspberries. Do
this by spraying weeds with Zero (fortunately Zero breaks down rapidly
in the soil so won't leave any harmful residues). After the weeds have
died they can be dug into the soil. At the same time mix in some Dynamic
Lifter, which will encourage good root growth. Before planting, place
some supportive stakes at the end of each row.
Prune raspberries in mid winter by removing old canes that have already
fruited. After pruning, feed with Yates Gro-Plus Citrus Food.

PS I faked my Gardening knowledge certificate.
But my plants grew anyway.