Old 21-03-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheldon Harper

Default Keeping the cats out

Janet Tweedy wrote in
news
In article , Sheldon Harper
writes

http://tinyurl.com/n4ctw

Established in 2005, the fences keep everything out. These were
primarily designed to dissuade white tail deer.

Hmmm it doesn't look as strong as stock fencing that I have on the
inside of my 8 foot hawthorn hedges which might lead one to presume
that it will rot in a couple of years.

No, it hasn't the weight of stock fencing. Rain here in mid America
isn't as significant as it is in the UK, so I expect as it stands
it should last at least 10 years. The posts are treated to delay rot
with only the corner posts (12 feet long) buried to 4 feet. The others
are fastened to tapered steel post supports which are driven into the
ground using a heavy hammer and have a clamp at the top for securing
a 4" x 4" post.

Fine if it's free-standing like the one on the site but you don't
want to have to fasten fencing into hawthorn hedging too often

Or any vegetation clinging to it for that matter.